This is the first in a series of articles on the fundamentals you need to know when it comes to the ‘people’ side of your business.
Attracting talent alone will not supply you with all the expertise and creativity your business needs. It is impossible for you to recruit all the talent you need from outside your business. You need to grow it from within. Here are some valuable tips for you as a business owner.
You need to be world-class learner. You need to figure out what needs to be done better, and quicker than your competitors. You need to be flexible, adaptable and resilient. You need to set the expectation that you and your team need to be learning constantly. Learning has to become the way to work within your business.
Create an Environment that Provides Direction
If you want to create an environment of continuous learning and development, you have to invest your own time and energy. The primary methods you can use include:
- Set clear expectations about your investment in attracting and developing employees
- Become a visible role-model.
- Strengthen the learning climate within your own business.
- Leverage the business culture, systems, and processes to promote learning.
Attract and Select the Best High-Caliber Talent
First, you need to recognize the business and your employees’ needs. How? By identifying the organizational competencies that the employees in your business need to demonstrate for your business to achieve its bottom line.
- Use a strategic performance modeling process.
- Use identified needs to focus your efforts to attract talent.
- Build a strong workforce whose members have complementary strengths.
- Assess your current employees against the ideal employees.
Develop Successors and Talent Pools for Key Positions
Determine the key jobs (don’t forget yours), your current bench strength, and the amount of time it will take to develop your people. Assess whether you have a pending crisis with lack of bench strength, whether it will take too long to develop people, or whether you need to change key jobs.
Being a magnet for talent requires a strong belief in being surrounded by a strong workforce. Believing in developing others in order to be the leader in your industry is key.
When It Comes To HR, It’s Better to Know Us Before You Need Us.